Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Shake Shack is looking for an experienced and energetic attorney to join our growing and dynamic Legal Team to support a variety of commercial transactions and the Company’s growth plans. The attorney will be responsible for leading commercial negotiations in designated specialties while managing risk, compliance and applicable regulatory obligations. The Commercial Counsel will be responsible for providing practical, timely legal advice and counsel in the fields of marketing, advertising and intellectual property protection as well as managing retail (Shack)-level commercial and risk matters (including insurance claims).
The successful candidate will possess broad commercial experience particularly in commercial contracts, marketing and advertising law to help manage key business and marketing functions. Experience managing IP portfolios is a plus.
The Corporate Counsel will support the Legal department in fulfilling its overall responsibilities to identify, assess and reduce the company’s legal, financial and business exposure, to ensure the Company’s values and interests are protected and preserved, and to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
Cover letter required with application. Position based out of our NYC Home Office.
o Manage global trademark portfolio and support all intellectual property needs including trademark prosecution; brand protection (including oppositions, invalidations and cancellations); IP strategy; and IP licensing
o Advise and identify risks to marketing and culinary teams as they promote the Shake Shack brand and products
o Advise on contests, sweepstakes and promotions
o Develop and deliver training for marketing, culinary and other relevant teams, as needed
o Draft, review, negotiate and advise on Shack-level contracts
o Oversee the administration of all Shack-level guest claims and incidents
o Develop and refine Shack-level contracts policies
- Develop, maintain and refine legal templates and processes for all designated specialties
- You will report to the Vice President, Senior Corporate Counsel and may manage legal support staff
This is just a sample of the kinds of work that this role will require. Your role will encompass other tasks too.
Skills & Knowledge
- Broad subject matter expertise in marketing and advertising law
- Strong knowledge of trademark law
- Strong and effective document drafting and negotiating skills with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Practical business acumen, driving pragmatic business-oriented solutions
- A highly approachable, collegial and collaborative approach
- Accountable and proactive self-starter, comfortable working independently
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload and multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment; similarly, be self-motivated, have strong organizational skills and
- be detailed-oriented.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school
- 5-8 years of relevant commercial experience working in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; in-house experience preferred
- Member of the bar in any US jurisdiction with ability to practice in-house in New York
- Retail or Hospitality experience a plus
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.