Director of Financial Systems & Optimization
Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Director, Financial Systems & Optimization
The Director, Financial Systems & Optimization is responsible for ensuring the integrity and operation of the financial systems used within the Company, with a primary focus on Workday Financials (Finance and Procurement) and Adaptive Insights. In addition to overseeing the ongoing maintenance activities of Workday Financials and Adaptive Insights, the successful candidate will be a leading driver of optimization and process improvement, with strategic input and management of initiatives to ensure successful implementation.
The Director, Financial Systems & Optimization is a self-motivated, adaptive, quick learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have a highly analytical and questioning mindset, strong work ethic, extreme attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement. The Director, Financial Systems & Optimization will be able to work well across functions and form relationships throughout the Company to facilitate involvement in Company-wide processes and initiatives.
Oversee Ongoing Maintenance of Workday Financials & Adaptive Insights, Including Coaching and Development of Team
Oversee ongoing maintenance and day-to-day activities in Workday Financials and Adaptive Insights to maintain foundational data and configuration to support normal finance and accounting business activities. Coach and development team of two direct reports and several offshore resources.
- Act as a subject matter expert, providing guidance and support to the Controllership and FP&A teams on Workday functionality and capabilities.
- Oversee two full-time internal direct reports primarily responsible for the day-to-day activities and maintenance of Workday and Adaptive Insights. Oversight includes coaching and development.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of offshore resources engaged by the Company (Deloitte Application Management Services) in addition to internal reports.
- Manage, prioritize and execute on Company’s Adoption Planning Roadmap per the Controllership and FP&A teams’ business requirements.
- Coordinate and/or execute necessary testing of any development and configuration changes, including unit testing, regression testing and end-to-end testing, obtaining appropriate sign-off by stakeholders.
- Partner with stakeholders and IT to develop data governance policies and procedures for data maintained in and impacting Workday Financials.
- Manage certain master data maintenance activities, including liaising with key stakeholders to appropriately govern updates to certain types of master data such as GL accounts and spend categories.
- Manage, prioritize and create reports and dashboards to support the needs of the Controllership and FP&A teams, including gathering report requirements, configuration and testing.
- Assist with the ongoing development of organizational, functional and individual key performance indicators (KPIs). Work with the Controllership and FP&A teams to produce and analyze periodic KPIs to monitor, measure and drive efficiency and performance improvement.
- Direct the Department’s training requirements and work with the Training team to enhance Workday training programs.
- Ensure the Controllership and FP&A teams have a comprehensive understanding of the financial systems to perform their job responsibilities. Provide direction to other users in interpreting information, monitoring accuracy, and suggesting changes/improvement to the system.
Liaise with IT and key stakeholders to drive system enhancements, upgrades and modifications across multiple process areas and segments. Strategic driver of business process optimization, leveraging not only Workday technology and automation, but through other systems and process enhancements.
- Guide and advise on Workday products, features and updates, including weekly updates and new version releases, to determine which are relevant for Shake Shack business needs.
- Make recommendations on new enhancements per Controllership and FP&A teams’ business requirements.
- Document and inventory product gaps in Workday Financials, create Workday brainstorms and coordinate internal voting.
- Participate in meetings/communications with Workday’s Advisory Council, representing the interests of Shake Shack and helping to influence Workday product development.
- Review existing processes, structures, and system capabilities to identify potential improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, automation, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Serve as a strategic business partner working with the Controllership and FP&A teams to formulate, prioritize and implement identified process optimization opportunities.
Act as a subject matter expert and represent the Controllership and FP&A teams in possible larger cross-functional projects and initiatives impacting Workday Financials and other financial systems, which may include implementation of and changes to upstream/downstream systems, required changes due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes to business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes.
- Work with the Controllership and FP&A teams to assess the impact from and facilitate the implementation of required changes to financial systems including impacts to process, policy, and procedures.
- Facilitate the gathering of Workday/financial systems requirements and ensure requirements are captured, documented and communicated to the project team.
- Liaise with third-party consultants, system implementers, IT and other key stakeholders.
- Assist with change management by working with the project team, IT and other key stakeholders related to any associated changes.
- Ownership of SOX configurable controls within Workday Financials, ensuring configurable controls are designed appropriately and operating effectively.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests, including data extracts and reports.
- Assist Internal Audit and IT as necessary with the maintenance of the Company’s segregation of duties (SOD) tool.
- Continuously evaluate SOX configurable controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary changes to configurable controls.
- Remain current on Workday technology by attending training and the annual Workday Rising conference.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the Controllership and FP&A teams’ business process and objectives.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- Demonstrated technical experience in business process re-design initiatives. Major system implementations a plus.
- Strong project management skills, including planning, execution, cost and time management.
- Ability to present to senior/executive leadership.
- Ability to autonomously drive decision-making within the Workday Financials and Adaptive Insights space.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries strongly preferred.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task responsibilities while working under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Ability to positively confront issues and resolve conflict with sound judgment.
- Innovative team player. Self-motivated and able to work on cross-functional teams. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a questioning mind and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively across different levels of the organization.
- Minimum 10-12 years of progressive experience, including 4-6 years in Workday Financials.
- BS/BA in Accounting/Finance, Management Information Systems or Computer Science required.
- Multiple Workday Financial-related certifications required.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.