New Update: Our Ongoing Commitment to Building An Inclusive and Sustainable Business
At Shake Shack, our mission has always been to Stand for Something Good®, from our commitment to delivering an elevated guest experience and sourcing premium ingredients to supporting and investing in our people and communities around the world. It’s been in our DNA since we started as a hot dog cart in Madison Square Park in 2001, and we continue to stand by our core values, especially in these difficult times.
Today, we released our third annual Stand For Something Good® Summary, focusing on people and company milestones with a focus on community support, diversity, equity and inclusion, employee benefits and compensation and sustainability. One thing is for sure - we’re always keeping ourselves accountable on all of our goals as we continue growing and looking to the future.
Some quick highlights:
- Promotions: Made more than 2,800 internal promotions, with 73% going to people of color and 56% going to women, almost double the number of promotions from 2020.
- Wage Increases: Increased wages by $9 million for Shack-level team members and created 1,522 new jobs (79% people of color, 54% women) from new store openings.
- Workplace Flexibility: Continued four-day work week pilot for hourly team members in select locations to provide a more stable schedule and support a better work life balance.
- Expanded Parental Care Benefits: Increased paid leave to 12 weeks for birth parents and four weeks for non-birth parents.
- Career Advancement: Continued career advancement through the Shift Up program providing team members with training to become senior leaders. Launched new career training and development programs that support women and people of color, including a women’s leadership development program.
- Workplace Diversity: Earned a 100% score on Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, further underscoring support of the LGBTQ+ community in the workplace.
- Sustainable Packaging: Produced and transitioned to-go bags to 100% recycled fiber, including 95% post-consumer content and continued our pilot of plastic free and carbon-negative straws in several markets and permanently in large markets including New York.
- Renewable Energy: Installed solar panels at five locations with more on the way, saving the equivalent of 1,427 gallons of gasoline or 29 barrels of crude oil per year. In addition, 30% of new Shack openings in 2021 realized a 20% YOY reduction in Kitchen Exhaust System energy usage.
We’re dedicated to doing the work it takes to be a company that values diversity, not only in our words, but in our actions, as we bring our mission to Stand For Something Good® to life each and every day. Ensuring equal opportunity for success, diversity in leadership at all levels and a culture that embraces different backgrounds and ideals has been the focus of our efforts since day one.
We hope that what Shack fans take away from this summary is our commitment to drive positive change and to hold ourselves accountable to cultivating a diverse workforce and fostering a sense of belonging for all. To read the full report, see here.